Sunday, January 29, 2017

Sanctuary by Carrie Newcomer

SUNDAY SONGS

For today's song - click here.


Today I am beginning a new segment to my regular I Like It review blog. I've decided to call it Sunday Songs. Sometimes it happens on the way home from church on a Sunday. Other times it's during the week, when I hear a song which reaches me on some profound level. I often post them on Facebook, with a link to Youtube. 


I decided to up my game a bit and maybe make this a regular feature of this blog. It will always be on Sunday. I decided that. Will it be every Sunday? Probably not. Every other Sunday? Maybe. Maybe not.

Those who know me, know how important music is to me. I have always sung in choirs, in groups, trios and in bands. When I can, I love to sing at a local nursing home. Just me and my guitar and I get to do all of my favourites.
 

But enough about that. Today I’m going to introduce you to the song Sanctuary by one of my favorite singer/songwriters, Carrie Newcomer. I have quoted her poetry often when speaking, and her music is my constant companion. Already on this blog I have recommended A Permeable Life.  This song Sanctuary comes from her newest album, The Beautiful Not Yet.

These lyrics and this song are especially meaningful today as we witness the shutting down of borders, the promise of high walls and the threat against sanctuary cities. It is a day when even some are suggesting that churches themselves no longer be safe places for those in need. It makes me weep.

So, on a day like today, a day when I am simply sad, I offer Sanctuary. I played this one over and over and over again on November 9.


Click here to listen to the song on Youtube.


Click here for that link in iTunes.

Sanctuary

Will you be my refuge
My haven in the storm,
Will you keep the embers warm
When my fire's all but gone?
Will you remember
And bring me sprigs of rosemary,
Be my sanctuary
Til I can carry on, carry on, carry on?


This one knocked me to the ground.
This one dropped me to my knees.
I should have seen it comin'
But it surprised me.


In a state of true believers,
On streets called us and them,
It's gonna take some time
'Til the world feels safe again.


You can rest here in Brown Chapel,
Or with a circle of friends,
A quiet grove of trees
Or between two bookends.


Will you be my refuge
My haven in the storm,
Will you keep the embers warm
When my fire's all but gone?
Will you remember
And bring me sprigs of rosemary,
Be my sanctuary
'Til I can carry on?


No comments:

Post a Comment